In 1954 Prof. David Ginsburg was assigned the task of developing the Technion’s Department of Chemistry which included a number of researchers in the fields of analytical and physical chemistry. After a period of development and establishment, the Technion’s basic science departments – chemistry, physics and mathematics – received the status of faculties.
In 1959 the Faculty of Industrial Chemistry merged with the Faculty of Chemistry. The faculties were separated again in 1962, all faculty members from the Faculty of Industrial Chemistry (except one) remained in the Faculty of Chemistry. In 1964, the Faculty of Chemistry moved to the Bernstein, Canada and Compton building complex, where it resides to this day. The Faculty of Chemistry deals with the training of scientists in the field of chemistry. The dean of the faculty is Prof. Noam Adir. Faculty Prof. Yitzhak Apeloig served as the president of the Technion from 2001 to 2009.
“The Faculty of Chemical Engineering had its beginning in 1935, when it was called the Department of Chemistry and was part of the Technology Department. Its first director was Hugo Heimann. In 1944 it became an independent department and later became a faculty. The 70 years of the faculty can be divided into four periods: The Industrial Chemistry period, 1935-1948; Transition to Chemical Engineering, 1950-1962; Classic Chemical Engineering, 1962-~1985; Modern Chemical Engineering, 1985- present.
In 2006, businessman Seymour Schulich donated 20 million dollars to the Faculty of Chemistry. This is one of the largest donations the Technion has received since its founding. Following this donation, the name of the faculty was changed to the Schulich Faculty of Chemistry.